Space Planning Services
Definition one-Configuring the interior of a building for the optimum use of interior spaces in order to meet the needs of the owner or occupant while minimizing the square footage necessary for one’s needs, thus saving expenses. Definition two-means the analysis and design of spatial and occupancy requirements, including, but not limited to, space layouts and final planning. Definition three- mine is grouped with a series of other steps: To develop spaces on the floor plan for private offices, common areas, and circulation efficiency. Development of partitions and openings including portable and fixed walls, of systems furniture and conventional furniture, locations of doors, windows and openings. Determining strategic location of equipment. Space planning in compliance with standard means of egress.
Before the project begins the following will be needed to execute the project as economically, efficiently, methodically, and smoothly as possible. Architectural plans to include, data & electrical, lighting, mechanical and plumbing.
Phase 1 Programming (Gathering Information)
We need to gather information for new and existing space requirements.
- Staff-individual and common areas
- Conference, teaming areas, breakout areas and touch down stations
- Filing needs
- Machines, technical, computers
- Communications (internal/external)
- Budget and time constraints
- Work and circulation flow
Phase 2 Preliminary Space Planning (Application of Information)
- Development of spaces on floor plan
- Private offices and open spaces
- Common Areas
- Circulation (corridors and aisles)
- Development of partitions and openings
- Locations of mobile, portable and fixed walls
- Locations of Systems furniture and/or conventional furniture
- Locations of doors, windows, and openings
- We will meet to confirm or revise preliminary plans so that we can proceed to the next phase.
Phase 3 Design Development (Development of Final Floor Plan)
- Partitions, doors, and openings
- Furniture and equipment
- Standard and/or custom furniture
- Preliminary budget considerations. Final budgeting can be done after Construction Drawings are completed (Phase 5)
- Making sure that the standard building codes and regulations are met.
- We will meet again to confirm or revise these plans so we can proceed to the next phase.
Phase 4 Color and Material Selection
- This phase consists of these surface categories:
- Architectural floors, walls, windows, ceilings (building requirements)
- Furniture/furnishings-partitions (mobile/portable) desks, files, chairs, etc.
- We will meet again to confirm or revise to proceed to the next phase.
Phase 5 Furniture/Equipment Specification
- In this phase, we would specify standard furniture (freestanding) and/or “systems” furniture, and we would provide drawings necessary for construction of custom furniture.
- Also during this phase final budgets for construction, materials and recommended furnishings can be presented.
Phase 6 Expediting and/or Supervising the Contractor and Installation
We would be at the job site as your representative to coordinate, problem-sovle, and supervise installation of the following:
- Architectural (coordination with the general contractor and subcontractor):
- Walls, doors
- Data, electrical and lighting
- Custom and/or Built-in Cabinetry:
- Miscellaneous Accessories